CHICOPEE, Mass. (WWLP) – The 22News Storm Team issued a Weather Alert for all day Tuesday for significant snow in western Massachusetts.
A Winter Storm Warning is in effect now through 8 a.m. Wednesday for Hampden, Hampshire, Franklin and Berkshire Counties, for the possibility of significant snowfall accumulation.
Most of western Massachusetts has changed from any rain to mostly all wet snow. Morning temperatures will be in the low to mid 30s. Plan on snow that could be heavy at times for the morning commute.
Snow is likely to continue through the day. There may be a “lull” in the snow during the late morning-early afternoon hours, especially along and east of the Connecticut River. Steady snow will return mid afternoon through the evening commute.
Most of our accumulating snow in the valley will happen early Tuesday morning & late Tuesday afternoon. The highest snowfall accumulation will be in the Berkshires and Berkshire foothills. This will be a “wet” snow.
Surface temperatures will be at or above freezing through much of the day. We expect high temperatures in the low to mid 30s. Wind will also be a factor with occasional gusts over 35mph. The heavy wet snow, combined with the wind, will result in tree damage and power outages, especially in our western hill towns.
The snow will taper off around 8-11 p.m. Tuesday night.
Download the 22News Storm Team Weather App
The 22News Storm Team app is customizable and can be set to give you updates specific to where you are or where your home is.
- Live interactive radar with many layering options lets you track the storms near you and any approaching risks
- Alerts for severe weather go to your home screen with an audio alert
- The most accurate hour-by-hour forecast for the next day and week ahead for Southern New England
- The latest video forecasts from the 22News Storm Team
- Current weather conditions for western Massachusetts and anywhere in the United States
- Set multiple custom locations or “follow me” mode to bring all weather forecasts, alerts, radar, and more to wherever you are or any locations you frequent
- Active closings and delays for western Massachusetts
- Detailed 7-Day Forecast gives you the most accurate and in-depth weather information for the full week ahead
- Latest weather discussion from local expert meteorologists of the 22News Storm Tea
Read full news on the source directly https://www.wwlp.com/news/local-news/weather-alert-accumulating-snow-across-western-massachusetts/